One more Lincoln cyclist blogging about cycling in and around Lincoln, NE.

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Custom Commuter

Well, I've kind of had it with my current commuter. Here are my complaints:
* I can't put regular fenders on it
* It's really heavy (I carry it up two stories every day)
* There's a tick in the bottom bracket, and I've had it rebuilt once so it looks like replacement time.
* The chain rings are a bit scarred up, but mostly good.
* It's a mountain bike: Heavy, front shock, back rigidity.

So it looks like I'm going to get a new commuter and sell the old one. Hopefully I can get $100 or so out of it.

I have two choices: A trek 7.3 FX, or a custom surly. The custom Surly is a lot more expensive, but I think it's worth it. And hey, I'm not strapped for cash so let's build the bike I really want!


Here's what I'm thinking:
* A Surly cross check frame. I can't use a Long Haul Trucker (well I can) because in my size (54) it doesn't come with 700c wheels.
* Bar end shifters.
* Drop bars, obviously.
* Probably a Brook's saddle, my butt needs to feel good in jeans.
* Double sided pedals: One side is a platform, the other is SPD.

Everything else I'm less worried about. I've got a source for a very low cost 9 speed cassette, rear derailleur and crankset. Low end stuff, but I'm not looking for a racing machine I'm looking for a good commuter that I can still park. The cassette may or may not be satisfactory, I despise large changes in my cassette. I still dream of a cassette with decent range and only steps of 1 tooth. Maybe these new 11 gear cassettes will realize my dream in 6 years when they're cheap. 3 tooth steps suck. That's a small complaint I have on my current commuter, and on the 7.3 FX.

I rode a Cross Check at Monkey Wrench on friday, and it was a nice ride. I'll probably give it another ride and start ordering parts sometime this week. Should be fun, I've never assembled a bike before :).

I'm excited!

No comments:

About Me

I'm a new cyclist. I ride a low end '07 Trek road bike and enjoy every minute of it.