One more Lincoln cyclist blogging about cycling in and around Lincoln, NE.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

We Don't Know History!

Oh noes! We've forgotten our heritage. Did you know that when asked this question:
33) If taxes equal government spending, then:
A. government debt is zero
B. printing money no longer causes inflation
C. government is not helping anybody
D. tax per person equals government spending per person
E. tax loopholes and special-interest spending are absent

Some of us don't know that the answer is D! That could be because the question is worded terribly. I actually answered "A" because with progressive taxes "D" only makes sense in the average and I couldn't find "the budget is balanced."

They also ask these:
7) What was the source of the following phrase: “Government of the people, for the people, by the people”?

15) The phrase that in America there should be a “wall of separation” between church and state appears in:

27) Free markets typically secure more economic prosperity than government’s centralized planning because:

Which tells me that we have a conservative think tank asking annoyingly tricky questions. I'll be honest: I missed #33 and #7. Fortunately for me, old Abe wasn't wrong when he said that in the Gettysburg address.

Let me show you the first sentence of the US Constitution (highly abridged): "We the People of the United States ... do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America. "

Well, I guess he had one thing wrong. It's Government by the people for the pandas!


The quiz has enough sensible questions to trick you into thinking that its results will be important. In the end though it's a politically charged constitutional history quiz, instead of a civics quiz.

I propose that they add some things which matter to a citizen outside of politics. I'm not sure what they'd be: I tried and I just game up with a different bias then they did ;).

No comments:

About Me

I'm a new cyclist. I ride a low end '07 Trek road bike and enjoy every minute of it.