One more Lincoln cyclist blogging about cycling in and around Lincoln, NE.

Monday, January 28, 2008

Beautiful Weekend Rides

This weekend was beautiful in Lincoln, as was today actually (I was at work).

Saturday I managed to get in about 20 miles before I realized my toes were cold enough to hurt. Oh well, it was one of the longest rides I've had since November!

Sunday I got in about the same, except it was just numb instead of pain. These summer road shoes just don't do well in winter weather. I suppose I should open my wallet and buy some covers huh?

I got buzzed on a side road by a little grey compact sedan. I don't know why on a residential road, with little traffic, you have to wait until there's a parked car and an oncoming car to pass the cyclist you've been following?
So, anyway, I caught up to him at a stoplight and buzzed him back. Don't worry, no touchy touchy. That's about my only wannabe story. You don't get much on a short ride.

Today my bike was so squeaky I couldn't bear to not clean it. Not to mention it was disgustingly grungy (and I meant everything, not just the drivetrain). These first days of spring coming up are going to be ugly for maintenance time.
I've been thinking about setting 200 miles a week as a goal. Since about 40 of that is commute miles, and probably half of the rest will be on group rides I think it won't be too boring. That's really key though. While I'd like to get faster, fitter, farther, etc. If I'm not enjoying it I'm not going to do it. Why ruin a good thing with obsessive training? I'm not going to win any races.

No comments:

About Me

I'm a new cyclist. I ride a low end '07 Trek road bike and enjoy every minute of it.