One more Lincoln cyclist blogging about cycling in and around Lincoln, NE.

Sunday, November 18, 2007

The first 600

Since this is just another blog from another cyclist, and that's not very exciting; I thought I'd list out some realizations from my first couple of months cycling.

Today is November 18th. I purchased my bicycle around September 5th and since then I've logged about 600 miles.

I'd been envying cycles for about 3 months before that and had gone from thinking I wanted a mountain bike to a flat bar road bike (one of the higher end ones which is actually more road bike than not) to a straight up road bike.
So I finally had the money and it was time to buy the bike. I went to the shop and fell for an 07 trek 1500. One of the early ones which shipped with dated ultegra components. I always hated red bikes too, until then.

The first couple of rides felt a bit unnatural (not uncomfortable) and were difficult: Every hill was a battle no matter how small. I hadn't been in good shape for 5 years or so.

That weekend I went on a 55 mile ride with my brother, who'd been cycling for months. I could barely ride the last 3 miles home. The last 5 miles took something like an hour.


After about a hundred miles the bike started to feel more natural and easier to control and the seat stopped causing minor pain (or at least I stopped noticing it). After about 300 it felt very natural. And after about 500 the hills that used to kill me and I used to dread I began to look forward to.
When I first started the mention of something like San Fransisco and its famously hilly streets would make me think "if I moved there maybe I'd give up cycling." Now I think "I should visit there, I wanna ride those hills."

I'm a believer now. You do start to like the hills. And it seems that the more I used to resent a particular hill the more I love it now.

Now I just need to find bigger hills!

No comments:

About Me

I'm a new cyclist. I ride a low end '07 Trek road bike and enjoy every minute of it.