One more Lincoln cyclist blogging about cycling in and around Lincoln, NE.

Monday, November 19, 2007

Freds

I've been listening to FredCast for almost a week now, catching up on old issues. I also listened to a Two John's cast. I was already a bit of a fan of FredCast, it's really very good. And I heard on Two John's a user comment about "freds" and realized this was a bit of slang I didn't know.

So I looked it up later: This is apparently a term for people who spend too much money on their equipment and not enough time on it.

Yay for the childish name calling which seems to be a requirement for every subculture. In the Linux world we had our "newbs" and now in the cycling world Freds.

A special thanks to David Bernstein for making fun of the people who feel they need to diss others who just aren't "as into it." I've got news for you guys: Those "Freds" are why you have a dozen kinds of high end bikes to choose from ;).

Now I wonder how many people will call me a "Fred." Grow up kids.

No comments:

About Me

I'm a new cyclist. I ride a low end '07 Trek road bike and enjoy every minute of it.